Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Mixed Bag

This past week has been filled with scary, exciting and painful things. Let's start with the scary. Friday morning, we heard Eliana talking through the monitor. It was only 7am, so we usually let her play a bit before we are ready to get her up. The next thing we know, she is crying. And it was a different kind of cry. I turned to Jason and said, "That cry sounds different." He agreed and went to go check on her. He opened the door and she was not in the crib! He looked and found her on the other side of the room, sitting there, holding the monitor and crying.

Wow! It happened! My kid fell out/climbed out of her crib! She didn't have a bruise, bump or mark on her anywhere. This past week, I have been playing with her on the floor and if I don't want her to go past me, I raise my legs up. The little dare devil just dives right over them! So, I am not surprised.

On to the exciting. We got family pictures taken on Friday with our little one year old. Here are a few.










We also got Eliana's new forward facing car seat. Unfortunately she is way to tall and long to consider keeping her rear facing. We are excited to try it out. I haven't yet, because, well on to the painful part.

Eliana is no longer a nursin' baby. She has moved completely to sippy cups! I had dropped the three feedings that corresponded with a meal first. That way, I got her up and she was able to eat breakfast, lunch or a snack with her sippy cup. The last one was the one right before bed. So, Sunday night, we put her to bed without nursing. And she did great. Went right to sleep. It was hard Saturday night when I was nursing to really soak it all in, because I wasn't sure if she would go to sleep the next night or not. But she did great and is doing great. So, needless to say my body is adjusting to that decision. I didn't get any sleep on Sunday night from the pain. Luckily Jason stayed home Monday morning to help out. And I am wearing cabbage leaves. Yes, cabbage leaves. I don't know if they are working or not. I do know that it is a very disgusting feeling and I smell like warm coleslaw. Today does feel better, but still a little painful. I am sure I will be back to normal soon. As for now, I am off to get more cabbage leaves!

6 comments:

wilderlamb said...

I feel you Patty. Such a lot of stuff going on at once. And I too have smelled like coleslaw! The pictures are adorable! Who took them?

Angbrad03 said...

Great family pics! You guys look adorable! Eliana is growing up fast--sounds like you have a climber on your hands, you'll have to watch out--you'll find her standing on top of the kitchen counter soon! Hang in there with the weaning--it doesn't take too long for your body to get the hint, usually, but the cabbage does help. Just watch out for the shower--it can set your progress back if you're not careful--don't face the water! :)

The McKays said...

WONDERFUL pics. Your photographer is very talented. This makes me ready to hire a professional and do shots like this. I'm loving your long hair! I don't think I've seen it that long before. Sorry for the stopping-nursing pain. :(

Patty Smith, Graphic Designer said...

I actually took the pictures. Well, Jason took the ones of Eliana and me. And the good old timer took the family pic. I wanted to try them myself first and I was so pleased with them. Not much extra money around here to pay someone.

Rachel Maples said...

I don't know the pain of stopping nursing but I feel for you. I do know the pain (as all moms do) of moving on from things and watching your little one grow up. There are lots to come in the next year too. I'm constantly surprised by things that Dealey does(and says) and have no idea where he learned them or if he just observed us doing them. But I've cried a few tears over little things like when we moved on from favorite clothes and oh we just bought them a month ago. Turning him around in the car was a big moment for us and now I can't imagine him facing backwards. I look in the rear view mirror and just think what a big boy and then duck because there's probably a paci or a toy about to come flying. The boy loves to throw everything, sometimes cool sometimes not so cool.

The Fox Family said...

We are certainly missing your little family. And the pics as everyone else has said are beautiful as is your hair! I must admit I cried myself to sleep Stella's last nursing night. I hope you guys are enjoying your "REAL" Fall weather! Miss you!